In 2016, there have been 500 Syrian newcomers welcomed to Vancouver Island. This new year will continue to welcome Syrian families. With a shortage of available government housing and residence organizations, private landlords have a unique opportunity to help welcome Syrian families to their new home by providing affordable and adequate housing.
Housing Syrian families has two goals:
1. Facilitate the exchange of information about housing availability, increasing the network of those involved throughout communities across Vancouver Island.
2. Create cohesion through supporting the development of a housing strategy for all of Vancouver Island. Integrate the involvement of beneficiaries, civil society organizations, and the private sector to identify opportunities for collaboration.
BENEFITS OF HOUSING SYRIAN FAMILIES
- Syrian families are stable tenants, making Vancouver Island their home. According to a recent testimony from Pacifica Housing, Syrian homes are kept in "immaculate" conditions with overwhelming positive experiences in their relationship with their landlord. Syrians housed by Pacifica are integrating into their communities and are family focused.
- Syrian families are supported by a myriad of community agencies and settlement workers to ensure that their transition into BC is seamless. This support creates a relationship, where both the landlord and the tenant can have a means of understanding expectations and procedures for the entirety of the rental process.
- As a housing provider, you would be contributing to creating a diverse community across Vancouver Island. You will be providing a safe place as these families find refuge and establish themselves in their new home.
house a syrian family
If you are an organization or private landlord and are interested in housing a Syrian refugee, please fill out the form below and we will contact you.